UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:23:24 -0400
A belated report from a field trip to the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline on
Wed. evening and Thurs. morning.  Kent McFarland, Pat Johnson, John
Lloyd, and I ventured up to VCE's long-term study plot, in hopes of
mist-netting a few additional Bicknell's Thrushes (BITH) for attachment
of solar geolocators that will enable us to learn about the species'
migratory patterns and connectivity.  We had tagged 15 adults there
during June and July, and we hoped to capture 1 or 2 more, plus check on
condition of any previously-tagged birds that might fly into our nets.
Weather was on the cool side, but clear and fairly calm.  We set up ~30
nets on Wed evening, kept them open through dusk, and opened them again
at dawn until late morning yesterday.  Our quest fell a bit short,
though there was a solid 'chorus' of vocalizing BITH at both dusk and
dawn.  We heard at least 12 birds, possibly 14-15, most of them calling
with a very few half-hearted songs interspersed.  A few birds even
called sporadically through the morning.  We captured 5 BITH, all of
them unbanded -- 3 were immatures, and 2 were adults.  Because we
targeted males for geolocator attachment in this this trial year, and
couldn't be sure that either of the two adults were male or
locally-breeding birds, we elected not to tag them.  We didn't manage to
capture any of the net-savvy birds that we had tagged earlier in the
summer, but we have every reason to suspect that most or all of them
were still present.  Our previous autumn work on Mansfield in the
late-1990s indicated that most local BITH don't migrate until the latter
half of September or early Oct.  So, now the long wait begins until next
May, when we expect to recapture ~60% of this year's tagged BITH and
recover the priceless data stored in their geolocators.

There wasn't any pronounced fall-out of migrants on the Mansfield
ridgeline yesterday, but we did capture a number of other birds:

Golden-crowned Kinglet -- 11
Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- 9
Swainson's Thrush -- 5
Tennessee Warbler -- 1