UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:38:03 -0400
This morning at 8:30 am, a striking pair of Long-tailed Ducks floated in
the middle of Lake Runnemede.  There were still there when I left 45
minutes later.  I never saw them dive. The male was in full breeding
plumage, the female nearly so.  There are still >40 Ring-necked Ducks
present, and there were 2 Pied-billed Grebes.

Lakeside vegetation was teeming with Yellow-rumped Warblers.  I
conservatively counted 90, but I'm sure there were many more.  All were
actively foraging, some on the ground, and many were singing. Nearly
every one was a male, but I observed at least 2 females. There were also
6 Yellow Palm Warblers, 4 Evening Grosbeaks, and >250 swallows foraging
over the water.  Almost all were Trees, with a few N. Rough-wingeds and
Barns in the mix.

Great morning to be out!

Chris

--