UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2008, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george a clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:24:32 EST
	On this relatively mild, wet, and dark afternoon (January 11) a pair of Common
Ravens flew to a rock ledge above and adjacent to a veterinary clinic parking
lot along Route 5 North in Norwich. At least one of the birds landed on the
rocks. I could not see whether the other bird was also on the rocks or perched
in one of the surrounding trees.

	Because the site at least superficially resembles those often used by ravens
for nesting, one conceivable interpretation might be that these birds were
checking out a potential nest site. However, it seems unlikely that ravens would
ever actually nest there because of frequent disturbance from the parking lot
below the ledge.

 I'm not aware of any past nestings by ravens within Norwich, but they have
nested in past years in both Thetford and Hartford not far from the Norwich town
line.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT