UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:41:07 -0400
George Clark and I also made a stop at the Bridge, around 5:30 pm. Over all
fewer ducks, but interesting behaviors in some of the other birds. The
robins, and to some extent, the song sparrows, were feeding ON the ice. It
appeared that there was widespread plant matter in/melting out of the ice.
It was hard to tell, but there may have been insects hatching from the ice
edge as well.
The vultures were all in a line, heading SOUTH, maybe to a roost, or to
avoid the snow.

Location:     Ledyard Bridge
Observation date:     3/21/11
Number of species:     9

Canada Goose     17
Wood Duck     1
Mallard     3
Common Goldeneye     3
Common Merganser     6
Turkey Vulture     13
American Crow     5
American Robin     25
Song Sparrow     6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/vt)

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Seeing some ice out below the Ledyard Bridge, I made a quick stop at 8:30
> this morning and was surprised at the diversity of waterfowl on both sides
> of the RR causeway.
>
> Chris
>
> Location:     Ledyard Bridge
> Observation date:     3/21/11