UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2014 21:29:33 -0500
I stopped at Kilowatt South at 4:50 pm today, on a whim.  Darkness was
falling, and it was difficult to see clearly, but a sizable group of
waterfowl had assembled on the open water, 50-100 feet off the VT shore
midway along the playing field.  Most of the birds were mergansers, of
which I conservatively counted 65 Hooded and 35 Commons.  There were
also at least 6 Mallards and 2 Am. Black Ducks.  I believe birds were
still arriving when I left, but it was too dark to be sure.  I'm
guessing this is the beginning of the nightly roosts that will move
below the dam once ice forms above.

At Lake Pinneo 30 minutes earlier I found 105 Canada Geese, 2 Common
Goldeneye, 97 Hooded and 55 Common mergansers, a Great Blue Heron, and a
Herring Gull.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer