UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
spencer hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:48:32 -0500
After receiving word of a probable Red-Throated Loon at Lake
Runnemede, Ed Hack, George Clark, and I, spent the morning looking for
this bird and others. We were not disappointing. The Loon was close to
the gazebo in great light, providing fantastic views of a species most
often found bouncing between ocean waves.
Not to be missed, the Geese flock keeps growing, and still contains at
least on Cackling Goose. No Coots today.

Elsewhere, we found two flocks (~40) of Snow Buntings, but
unfortunately only in flight. In the fourth field we checked, we found
8 Horned Larks, although there were probably more mixed with the
buntings.

Good Birding,
Spencer

LAKE RUNNEMEDE (EVART'S POND)-Windsor (62 acres), Windsor, US-VT
Nov 19, 2011 8:20 AM - 9:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Strong south wind, sunny
15 species

Cackling Goose  1     At least one, only seen in flight as it
descended with CAGO, short bill and small size seen well
Canada Goose  600     Lots of geese in the air, ~400 on the pond at 8:30
Wood Duck  1     Reported the last couple days by Ed Hack
American Black Duck  12
Mallard  4
Common Merganser  5
Red-throated Loon  1     Found yesterday by Ed, seen well and
photographed in good light this morning
Great Blue Heron  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
Blue Jay  2