UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 2015 16:34:30 -0400
Today Ed Hack and I looked for birds in the vicinity of the
Connecticut River from the Vermont side from Hartland southward to
Springfield. Among the highlights were
1) hundreds of Canada Geese, most numerous in a large corn field along
Route 5 immediately south of North Hartland,
2) numerous Wood Ducks, American Black Ducks, Mallards, Ring-necked
Ducks, Hooded Mergansers, and Common Mergansers along our route,
2) a pair of Northern Shovelers at the mouth of the Ottauquechee River
where it joins the Connecticut River in North Hartland,
3) an adult male White-winged Scoter on the Connecticut River south of
the mouth of the Black River as seen from Hoyt's Landing in
Springfield, VT
4) Greater Scaups at both Lake Runnemede in Windsor and in Vermont
waters at Hoyt's Landing, and
5) a vocalizing adult male Rusty Blackbird in Windsor by the entrance
to the driveway leading from Route 5 into Lake Runnemede.

George Clark
Norwich, VT