UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 06:23:41 -0400
It was a sparrow day at the Ledyard Banding station on Thursday. We captured many migrating
White-throated Sparrows, a few Song Sparrows as well as Eastern Phoebe
and Black-capped Chickadees. A White-crowned Sparrow dazzled us with its
beautiful plumage and teased us by continually walking under our mist nets.

I special class from Hanover High School visited the station while on a
bird walk and learned all about bird banding and bird adaptations.

The checklist of birds and butterflies below were recorded at the
station and entered in Vermont eBird. You can always see the complete
list and more at
http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/GuideMe?src=changeDate&getLocations=hotspots&hotspots=L691522&parentState=US-VT&reportType=location&monthRadio=on&bMonth=01&eMonth=12&bYear=2009&eYear=2009&continue.x=58&continue.y=17&continue=Continue

Next banding will take place on Sunday from 6am-noon.

Thanks,
Kent

Location:     Montshire - Quinn Preserve
Observation date:     4/30/09

Butterflies:
Eastern Pine Elfin-2
Spring Azure- 3