UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 May 2011 10:15:47 -0400
Once upon a time I had the all time earliest record of a Bicknell's Thrush
on breeding grounds, May 16th on Belvidere Mountain in northern Vermont on
top of snow! Then, Brendan Collins who has worked with us on Bicknell's for
years now,  found one on Stratton Mountain a few years ago on May 15th.
Well, I headed out yesterday to take the world title back. I arrived atop
Okemo Mountain at 530am in and out of the clouds but calm air and balmy
temperatures for this date, 50F. Just a bit of snow in patches.  I covered
every square inch of habitat, some several times, with and without playback.
I found every bird you'd expect breeding up there accept for Yellow-bellied
Flycatchers (they arrive late) and Bicknell's Thrush. I had Swainson's
Thrushes coming into the playback on 3 occasions. There were Blackpolls
defending territories in most areas as well as Magnolia Warbler and all the
other suspects. Was Bicknell's present but not detected? Perhaps, but after
my extensive searching under perfect conditions, I doubt it. At 945am the
temperature on the summit was 56F. There were even a few black flies around
me! Halfway down the hill the temperature was 50F and remained so to the
valley. I nice thermal inversion. Well, next year on the 14th of May, I will
give it another shot for sure! Hmmm, maybe I will head down to the Catskills
and try my luck even earlier. Game on Brendan.

Kent

Kent McFarland

Conservation Biologist

Vermont Center for Ecostudies