UV-BIRDERS Archives

July 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:19:36 -0400
This morning Ed Hack and I conducted our second grassland bird survey
of the season in the towns of Windsor and West Windsor, VT. During 10
minutes of a survey stop near the junction of Route 44 and Kimball
Farm Road in West Windsor, we twice heard song of an Eastern
Meadowlark. After completing our timed survey route, we returned to
that location. A helpful neighbor provided guidance on access, and we
were eventually able to see the meadowlark with its field marks
including the white outer tail feathers and yellow on the underparts.
The bird sang only infrequently which was a handicap during our
efforts to find it for visual confirmation. The location is along the
northern side of Route 44 across from the West Windsor town garage.

Other species of special interest this morning included an American
Kestrel continuing at the State Correctional Lands east of Marton Road
in Windsor and another seen in West Windsor along Cemetery Road near
its intersection with Brownsville Hartland Road.

This morning in Windsor we also saw a Prairie Warbler in a brushy area
not far off the south side of Route 44 to the west of the parking area
for the Brownsville Trail up Mt. Ascutney. This species had been heard
singing in this location, as previously reported on UV-B, during our
grassland bird survey of May 28 and by Rob Humphries while bicycling
on Route 44 on June 5. Thus the species has been present in this
location for over a month this year.

Other birds of interest this morning included numerous Bobolinks and
some Savannah Sparrows. Nearly all of more than a dozen fields
surveyed for birds this morning have remained unmowed through the
month of June.

George Clark
Norwich, VT