UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2008, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:27:37 -0400
What a joy to hear the American Woodcock peenting - starting up April 13th.  I hear at dusk and dawn.  Last night I heard two separate peents.

Yard observations:
  April 13
     Hermit Thrush (1)
     Juncos - a flock of 30 or so
     American Robins - flock of 30+
     Tufted Titmouse - a pair
     Northern Cardinal - female
     Song Sparrow (2)
     White Breasted Nuthatch - a pair
     Fox Sparrow
     Hairy Woodpecker - female

  The regulars:
     Black capped Chickadee - flock is dispersing     Blue Jay
     Morning Dove

  Noticeably absent compared to last year:
    Purple Finch

  Feeder activity definitely minimized due to basically taking down the feeders (I still throw out some seed almost daily - I just can't resist!)

April 15
    Coltsfoot starting to appear along roadside
    Wild Turkey - a flock with two displaying Toms, cleaning up the birdseed in the yard

April 16
    Heard Peepers and Wood Frogs in Lyme village (approx. 550' elevation), but not by the Dartmouth Skiway (approx 920').

April 18
    Hot weather has brought out the daffodils - I am afraid they are going to blast by with the spell of hot weather.  Fiddleheads should be right along too!
    Several deer grazing in back pasture

April 19
    Yay - new arrivals:
     Purple Finch (finally!)