UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kendall Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kendall Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:03:52 -0500
I live on the Connecticut River just below the mouth of the White River.
The past two mornings, I have seen a large flock of ducks taking off from the river, going in different directions as if fleeing. An eagle was seen after both occurrences, yesterday about 45 min to an hour after the ducks flew and today I saw it just afterwards about 300yds behind the last group of ducks. I'm not sure if it's hunting the ducks or they are just spooking at the sight of the large eagle. Today it was about 10:30am, yesterday it was maybe 1:30pm.
The massive murder of crows is back in WRJ, hundreds so far, and it will just keep growing. Not sure how long the eagle will hunt the stretch below Wilder damn as it begins to fill with a thousand crows.
Thus far the eagles have shown zero interest in my or my neighbors chickens, though a month ago, I saw an eagle fly over my chickens with no look and 30 min later I saw the eagle diving to the corner of a field where I frequently see turkeys. Maybe my house deters the eagles? The Sharp-shinned hawks certainly don't fear me or the house, but somehow whenever they come around, there is always a crow to drive them off my chickens. I swear the crows keep the hawks away from my chickens. The two resident red-tails hunt a field 200 yds away, no hastle from the crows, if they come over my house, from no where a crow shows up, soon followed by a few more and they drive the hawk off. Same thing with any Sharp-shinned or Coopers, crows show up from no where. (though I'm pretty sure I've just seen SShinned)