UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Karen A. Kluge" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen A. Kluge
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:37:20 +0000
Hi Peter --

I don't know what your moths are either, but I wanted to make you (and other UVB subscribers) aware of a great place to post mystery moths (and other wild things, identified or not) --  www.iNaturalist.org.  People all around the world are posting pictures of things natural they have encountered, and if you ask for ID help, you are likely to get a response -- often from an expert in the field.  There is a special "project" within iNaturalist for sightings from Vermont -- it has been dubbed the "Vermont Atlas of Life" and I happen to know that a number of people are posting pictures of and discussing moth ID there.  It's easy to get an account, and you can upload pics from a computer or using a smart phone (or iPad) app as well.

Check it out!  But I should warn you that it can be addictive -- my husband now spends all his time taking pictures and posting them to iNaturalist...

Karen