UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Robert Z. Norman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Z. Norman
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 10:26:02 -0400
--- Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This evening I discovered a PRWA singing in a new spot in Woodstock. The old
ski slopes on Mt. Tom hill on Rt 12 halfway up have grown up into a very
nice brushland. I think this bird will stay on territory here. This bird has
become hard to find in these parts in the last decade.
Kent
--- end of quote ---
Kent's message raises two questions in my mind.

He notes that, "this bird has
become hard to find in these parts in the last decade." In the birding I've done
locally in the past 40 years I have never seen nor heard one, and I have seen
very few reports of people near here seeing or hearing one. Did it used to be
more common?

Second, Hal Schwartz raises a question about what PRWA means. There have been
some occurences of  Prothonatory Warblers (PRWA?) in this area, one seen for nearly
a week in 1971 near Sachem Village near the Hanover-Lebanon line. Unfortunately
I was in the hospital recovering from a knee operation at the time so didn't see
it.
Can we distinguish birds with the same four-letter descriptors?

Bob