UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 20:38:07 -0400
  Great to see 4 prior UVB messages today! To update our morning warbler
report, add:

1 Prairie Warbler, in a mowed field along Bragg Hill Rd., ~17:45 today.
See full species list below.

One doesn't have to be a Buddhist to appreciate the role of karma in the
story of this sighting:

Several White Birch trees to the south of our house have provided food
and respite for countess bird species, especially while slowly dying
over the past 5-10 years. Most self-respecting homeowners would have cut
them all years ago, although the quality of our neighbors is such that
we're yet to hear "say, those trees don't look too healthy".

Anyway, one-third of one tree was cut earlier this summer in a deal with
Spencer's mom, Janet. The proviso was that she help him transplant a
replacement, from a friend's young forest about a mile away. Off they
went with shovels, (binoculars), and the garden cart this afternoon. An
hour later Spencer comes running in the house - muddy boots and all -
leaving mom to lug a cart-full of saplings with full root balls. "We got
something even better than more birches - a Prairie Warbler"! The story
gets even better, for the bird was found during a birch-expedition
interlude, as Spencer helped passing-by, fellow birder David Webb find
some Palm Warblers.

This sighting is especially gratifying for Spencer, as he has been
looking for Prairies in Norwich almost since he began birding.

So the message here for birders is: save dead birches, and plant new ones!

Doug Hardy, Norwich

Observation date:     9/12/10
Notes:     a mixed flock continuously on the move through isolated trees
and brushy and recently cut field
Number of species:     8

Northern Flicker - Colaptes auratus     5     maybe more
Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe     2
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus     3
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     20     one flock in recently cut
field on the ground
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) - Dendroica coronata coronata     1
w/ bluebirds
Prairie Warbler - Dendroica discolor     1     in brushy grass briefly,
then flew to trees and was lost
Palm Warbler (Western) - Dendroica palmarum palmarum     2     w/ bluebirds
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     2