UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter LaBelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2014 21:07:11 -0400
Had a great day of spring migration birding today, tons of amazing stuff!
Started off @ 7 30 am at the prison property to great views of a calling snipe at the corner of Hunt and Marton. Continued up the road, seeing blue-winged warblers, rose-breasted grosbeaks, and my FOY Baltimore Orioles. Also heard a ton of Wood thrush and ovenbird, saw several Veery.
Walked up Pond road to the pond, where a Nashville warbler was singing beautifully. On the way down, good views of a pileated woodpecker and two ovenbird chasing each other.

Next, headed to Lake Runnemede for a bit of birding there. Wilson's Warbler was the highlight, our second one in as many days. Killdeer on the field, tons of tree swallows and a pair of House Wrens looking at one of the boxes.

Then, over to Simon Pearce, where we saw a green heron right off the bat, peeved at us and showing off it's crest feathers. Then, a real shock, a Mourning Warbler, first ever for me in VT. I got reasonable views, but only for a few moments. Showed the distinct gray hood, but lacked the black on breast, so probably a female. 3 gnatcatchers and a surprising turkey (shot right up out of the bushes in front of us).

Not much at Ledyard or Kilowatt, just a mallard and a male common merg.

In the afternoon, we went around Pompy and Campbell Flats, but didn't find much new.
Lincoln's Sparrow and American Kestrel around the house.

Finished the day with 75 species in total, 14 of them warblers.

PS
My mom went out right at dusk and heard two Bitterns calling at Zeebeedee, saw another one.