UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2010 15:14:08 -0400
Yesterday the VCE team did its annual Birdathon, starting at dawn on
foot around Lake Morey, continuing over to Lake Fairlee for a quick
scan, then up to Bradford (via the Fairlee Palisades, and diner...),
where we walked the RR tracks at the end of Depot Street (our most
productive site of the day).  While we benefited from 2+ hours of dry
conditions at dawn, the subsequent moderate rain and cool NE breeze held
off plans for a canoe-kayak trip down the Connecticut until 11:00 am,
when we finally launched our 5 kayaks and one canoe in Orford.  We
paddled, stopping often to explore upland habitats, until 5:30 pm, when
we took out in Lyme.  We ended up with a respectable total of 109
species, starting with a calling Barred Owl outside my bedroom window in
Norwich at 2:30 am and ending with a female Eastern Bluebird at the nest
box in Hillside Cemetery.

Selected highlights from the day included:
Common Loon   5 on Lake Morey, including one yodeling
Double-crested Cormorant -- 1 each on L. Morey and Fairlee
Osprey -- a pair perched near the Lyme canoe take-out site.  Possible
beginnings of a mated pair??
Bald Eagle -- pair with their 2 eaglets in the Orford nest
Blue-winged Teal -- one of the day's surprises, a pair along backwater
in Bradford
Alder Flycatcher -- 2 singing at north end of L. Morey, 1 in Bradford
Willow Flycatcher -- 1 singing in Bradford, another along Conn R shore
in Lyme
Yellow-throated Vireo -- 1 singing along NW shore of Morey, another
along Conn R in Orford
Blackpoll Warbler -- 2 singing and foraging along Bradford RR tracks
Mourning Warbler -- 1 singing edge of woods across road from L. Morey
golf course
Canada Warbler -- 2 singing N end L. Morey
White-crowned Sparrow -- 2 in backyard south of canoe take-out in Lyme
Evening Grosbeak -- a pair in same Lyme backyard

A few glaring but inevitable misses included Broad-winged Hawk, American
Woodcock (3 staked-out spots failed to produce at dusk -- too late now
for courtship flights?), Golden-crowned Kinglet (a tough bird to find
anywhere this spring), Nashville Warbler, and Purple Finch.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer