UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2014, Week 5

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2014 00:45:14 -0500
Yesterday evening, I checked out the Wilder Dam nocturnal waterfowl
roost, which nearly ice-free conditions still allow to be above the
dam.  I arrived at 4:30 pm, at which point only a handful of Common
Mergansers were in the middle of the broad open water south of the
Kilowatt South peninsula.  About 80 Mallards and 5 American Black Ducks
were scattered along the NH shore, with many swimming south from points
north of the peninsula.  During the next 25 minutes, a procession of
both merganser species and additional Mallards arrived from both north
and south, mixing across the entire area of open water.  By 4:45 it
became difficult to discern individuals of the different species, but
final counts were at least 125 Mallards, 60 Hooded and 45 Common
mergansers.  They're much easier to count and identify when roosting in
the concentrated flock below the dam!

Yesterday morning, I had at least one Common Redpoll calling in flight
over my home in Norwich.

For anyone looking to ring in the new year with a leisurely bird walk,
I'll be containing the tradition of a 90-minute outing in Norwich
village on Thursday morning, as part of the annual Hanover-Norwich
Christmas Bird Count.  We'll meet in front of Dan and Whit's at 9:00 am,
then walk a loop up Beaver Meadow to Hopson Road and on to Hillside
Cemetery, where we'll cut over to Pine Tree Road and return via Hopson,
arriving back at Dan & Whit's.  I can't promise anything out of the
ordinary, but a Red-bellied Woodpecker has been regular along Beaver
Meadow Road, and this route has turned up a few surprises in recent
years, including Wilson's Snipe, Belted Kingfisher, and Swamp Sparrow.

If you join us, please make sure to dress warmly, with a hat and gloves,
and wear warm, fairly sturdy winter boots.   If you have binoculars,
bring them.  If you don't, I'll bring an extra pair or two to share.  I
hope to see some of you there.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer