UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 13:53:42 -0400
At mid morning today (May 17), I stopped to look for birds at Foley
Park in Norwich by the Ledyard Bridge. A first year male Orchard
Oriole, with a sizable black bib, and a female, also seen well, with
no discernible black feathers on the chin, were together, along with
an Eastern Kingbird, in a somewhat isolated young maple growing in the
largely grass covered portion of Foley Park.

At bit of Orchard Oriole song was heard later, but an attempt to
locate and see the two orioles again was unsuccessful.

I'm reminded of the Northern Mockingbird seen by a number of us at
Foley Park on Saturday, but which was not seen again during visits to
Foley Park yesterday and today.

Although I had made a number of previous stops at Foley Park this
spring, this was the first time this year I had seen Orchard Orioles
in Norwich.

Other species found this morning elsewhere in Norwich and firsts-of-
the-year for me in Norwich during 2010 were a Great Crested Flycatcher
and a Canada Warbler.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT