UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2011, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2011 21:05:26 -0400
Late this afternoon, when water levels were relatively low at the
Pompy flats in Norwich, Ed Hack and I there had an initial count of 27
Least Sandpipers, most of them foraging. Nearly all the sandpipers
suddenly flew off rapidly out of sight as a small falcon, most
probably a Merlin, captured one sandpiper and then carried it away out
of sight.

This leads to a question as to whether, under the circumstances, such
a count of Least Sandpipers is better entered in eBird as 27 or 26?

Immediately after the predation event we found no more sandpipers at
Pompy. Even after leaving Pompy and returning about a half hour later
we still found no sandpipers despite our high magnification scanning
of the extensive expanse of mud flats then above the water. We did,
however, see other birds such as a Mallard pair and a Great Blue Heron.

George Clark
Norwich, VT