UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Shepard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2011 20:22:52 -0400
So we have about 20 "Bluebird" houses around the homestead here.  10 are at
the cemetery across the road.

Most years there is a nesting pair of BB's.  Usu. 3-4 Tree Swallows.  Piles
of House Wrens.  Fun.

We actually cleaned them out yesterday. Except for 3.  I was on my way to do
one of them, when a female BB climbed out of the house, he was on top.

Sweet.

Still had 2 more. Next was stuffed with wren twigs.  Then on to the last
one. The box showed stuffing in the entrance hole. Almost every year I clean
out one

house and there are mice in it.  One time 30 years ago I cleaned out a Wood
Duck house, the bottom removed, and there was something scratching to stay
in, I grabbed it. I No Saw-whet Owl..wow.   Well, I turned the cleanout door
screw, and an animal popped onto the roof. Yoicks.  It had huge dark eyes.
Furry. Warm looking. Sorta beige. I did not want to bother it..  a real live
Northern Flying Squirrel !  My heart took about 20 minutes to settle.

Mourning Cloak butterfly in the yard.

Bill S

Bill Shepard

Project Coordinator