UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 13:39:19 -0400
This is a belated report of a VCE hike from the summit of Pico Peak to
Rt. 4 in Sherburne Pass on Monday morning, from 5-7:30 am.  This was the
first leg of our Birdathon, the second leg of which covered 50 miles on
mountain bikes, ending us in Windsor.  You can see our full list at
http://www.vtbirdathon.org/images/VCE%20Birdathon%202009.pdf.

The discovery of 6 Bicknell's Thrushes (all of them also found at dusk
on the previous evening) suggests that many birds may be returning to
breeding sites earlier than believed.  Our previous early date for the
species in VT was May 15, but that was just a single bird.  With Bridget
Stutchbury's recent work showing that Purple Martins and Wood Thrushes
migrate northward in spring much more rapidly than expected, it may be
that Bicknell's Thrushes leaving Hispaniola ~ May 1 (we've had a few
records even beyond that date) arrive here < two weeks later.  We hope
to have some insights on this and other aspects of the species'
migration patterns a year from now, when we recover solar geolocators
that we'll place on males this summer.

Location:     Pico Peak
Observation date:     5/18/09
Number of species:     24

Ruffed Grouse     1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1
Eastern Phoebe     1
Blue-headed Vireo     4
Red-eyed Vireo     3
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     1
Winter Wren     5
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
Bicknell's Thrush     6
American Robin     12
Nashville Warbler     2
Magnolia Warbler     1
Black-throated Blue Warbler     11
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)     14
Black-throated Green Warbler     17
Blackburnian Warbler     1
Blackpoll Warbler     1
Ovenbird     19
White-throated Sparrow     9
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)     11
Rose-breasted Grosbeak     2
Purple Finch     1
Pine Siskin     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/vt)

Also, yesterday on the dike separating Dewey's Pond and the Ottauquechee River were 3 singing Willow Flycatchers.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer