UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2010, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kent McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 07:30:52 -0400
Prairie Warblers breed in brushlands. When all the farms were let go years
ago and the fields were growing back to forest there was a lot of brushland
for a period and so more of them (them = four letter code for Prairie
Warbler) around Woodstock. They were never very common, but they were a lot
easier to find before in Woodstock. They use to be a regular at the
Woodstock Gun Club range for example and even at the old VINS Bragdon
Preserve. But, each of those continued to grow past the shrub stage and they
are no longer there. I looked at the breeding bird survey maps from first
atlas vs second atlas real quickly and they were pretty rare in both time
periods as breeders. Interestingly, they were found on more priority blocks
in the last atlas than the first. But here in Woodstock and probably other
areas of this county, they are less common. It looks like over in the valley
they were more common in this last atlas.

As for my use of a four letter code...
I was not going to respond on this issue. However, since some people chose
to personally attack me and the issue continues on the list serv, I feel I
should address this in some small form. I was excited to share this new spot
with anyone that might be interested and so I typed the message on my iPhone
in my car in the dark after birding. So indeed, I did use a short cut and
made up a 4 letter code without even thinking. Anyone that knows me would
laugh aloud at the thought I was attempting to rise above the "peasants". I
even used the incorrect code!

The list serv should be a welcoming place. A place where people get excited
about sharing bird sightings and information, not a place in which we flame
each other.  If you truly have a problem with someone, try first emailing
them privately or perhaps calling them on the phone to discuss the issue.

TTFN (Ta-ta for now),
Kent

Kent McFarland
Vermont Center for Ecostudies