UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2007, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"David A. Merker" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Merker
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:02:44 -0500
--- You wrote:
While some might not agree with our course of action, we decided to capture it and keep it in captivity (at our wildlife rehab facilities) for a couple days until it warms up a bit. We did inspect it for fat levels and injury, and it seems to be a healthy bird except for having bad judgement!
--- end of quote ---

Hi

Not sure who is using the bad judgement, here! Is it legal to even do that? What permit does that fall under? Maybe a banding or a Rehab permit? Seemed like the Hermit was doing it's thing, without VINS intervention. Pretty sure they survive here every year, for years of cold snaps and prolonged winters, harsher than this and last winters. Seems like an odd move to me! But your really bad judgement might have occurred when you had the urge to post it to a public website. Keep us posted on it's progress or otherwise. Thanks

David Merker
Human Resources
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center
603-653-0435