UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:16:53 -0500
I'm wondering whether anyone else saw a large flock of waxwings this
afternoon near Norwich?

Spencer and I were birding for 2 hours, with an eye out esp. for
Bohemians. As predicted by "Murphy's Law", I dropped him off an an
appointment at 4pm, and within 5 minutes found a flock of ~200 waxwings
along Rt. 5 just south of Norwich (near the Car Store). Setting up a
scope on the road's shoulder in the rain, I saw only 2 which were
definitively Bohemians... so I'm wondering if anyone else might have
also seen them.

The flock was very unsettled, alighting briefly in various trees, then
swirling about. Fun to watch but difficult to keep a scope on in the rain.

Thanks-
Doug Hardy, Norwich