UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2010, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2010 20:06:35 -0400
During a visit to Pompy in Norwich this morning (June 20), Barn
Swallows were the most frequently seen species of swallow flying in
the vicinity of the overpass bridges of interstate highway I-91. After
seeing one Cliff Swallow in flight, I looked from south shoulder of VT
Route 132 up underneath the overpass for the I-91 northbound lanes and
saw two adult Cliff Swallows in a somewhat aberrant looking mud nest
constructed inside the easternmost green beam and up against the
underside of the I-91 roadway above. It's been a few years since I
last noticed Cliff Swallows nesting at this location so it was nice to
see the species still present as a nester.

A little later this morning, not far from Pompy, at least two male
Bobolinks were present in the area of extensive fields at the southern
end of Hogback Road in Norwich. Fields in much of this area have
recently been mowed. Additional mowing with one machine was underway
this morning, but some field areas there still remained uncut.

George

George Clark
Norwich, VT