UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2011, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lila Ollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:13:18 -0500
I also walked the same path at the same time as I went yesterday, and I
don't think there was a peep from anything at all. After a thorough and
maddening review of the recordings I took on yesterday's walk, mostly
incredibly loud feet crunching in the snow, mostly mine, but also my dogs
who weren't even TRYING to step lightly,  I found one barely audible cry of
the bird/creature. I had to listen with headphones and crank the sound as
high as it would go, but it's there.  It was the first time I heard it, and
the quietest and shortest of the three cries/screams/whines I heard. I
don't know why the other two didn't register at all. I probably didn't stop
moving and crunching the snow fast enough.

I suppose I couldn't expect to hear it every time I go out after dark even
if it is there, since it's not breeding season, there are Barred Owls in
the immediate area, and today there were at least 10 people just leaving
when I got there. I don't know if that matters to small owls or not.

Ok, I won't keep reporting on what I DIDN't see, hear or manage to record!