UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 23:00:15 -0500
I spent 45 minutes this evening at the Wilder Dam overlook watching the
nocturnal waterfowl roost assemble.  When I arrived at 4:45 pm, 15
Common Mergansers were there - 11 already roosting, 4 in the current
fishing.  Numbers built slowly until a few minutes after 5 pm, when
small flocks began to arrive regularly, all from the south.  A female
Common Goldeneye flew in solo at 5:14, then a male at 5:18.  The first
Hoodeds appeared at 5:15, after which they were the dominant species to
arrive.  By the time I left at 5:40, it was quite dark, and I hadn't
noticed any additional arrivals for 4-5 minutes.  Final tally was 99
Commons, 73 Hoodeds, and the 2 Common Goldeneyes.

This could be an interesting site to observe in the weeks ahead, as
early migrants begin to filter in before the ice upriver melts.  It
would also be interesting to watch the flock disperse at dawn, and to
compare numbers and diversity then to what was there at last light the
previous evening.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer