UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 09:31:54 -0400
Hello-

I'm writing on behalf of Spencer, swamped with homework and exams this
week. This year he will doing the Birdathon in support of conservation
biology at VCE (<http://www.vtecostudies.org/>). His objective is to
find as many species as possible within (or viewed from) the town of
Norwich. Pledges are of course welcome ([log in to unmask]),
but he is also seeking location suggestions on species which can be
difficult to find some years in Norwich at this time of year.

If you have suggestions for sites within Norwich where any of the
following have been seen recently or regularly, he'd be thrilled to hear
from you. Some of these species are common, but have either not been
reliable or are difficult to find here in mid-May. Info on unlisted,
less-common species is also welcome!

Please reply off-list to this specific request, although we would be
happy to share the results with anyone. If the responses are
interesting, I will compile them and post.

Thanks!
Doug Hardy (driver & scope carrier)

either Teal spp.
Hooded Merganser (other than Ledyard?)
Bittern (other than Union Village Dam?)
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Kestrel
either Yellowlegs (both at Pompy recently)
Solitary Sandpiper
Snipe
either Cuckoo (still early)
Chimney Swifts
Kingfishers (other than Ledyard?)
Wood-Pewee
Bank Swallow
either Kinglet (will check Spring Pond Rd.)
Gnatcatcher
Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing