UV-BIRDERS Archives

January 2013, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 20:22:34 -0500
Today (January 10) Ed Hack and I looked for birds in northwestern
Windsor County, VT, including small portions of the towns of Bethel,
Rochester, Royalton, and Stockbridge.

One highlight was in a field near the Royalton-Stockbridge boundary
where large mammal carcass material had been placed on the snow far
from any buildings. More than 20 Common Ravens, at least 50 European
Starlings, and a coyote were foraging together on the carcass
material. The ravens and the coyote were tearing off reddish/pink
chunks of carcass. The ravens kept their distance from the coyote. An
adult Bald Eagle which had been perched in a nearby tree got into the
action and flew after one of the ravens which was flying by with a
large chunk of carcass in its bill. The eagle was unsuccessful in
harassing the raven which flew down into a tree where the eagle could
not follow. The eagle then landed in a nearby tree, and we saw no
additional pursuit.

We watched all this through binoculars from inside a vehicle parked
many yards away so as to avoid disturbing the participants. The, some
might say gruesome, scene was reminiscent of those in African savannas
where Old World vultures and mammalian scavengers gather around
carcasses. Because of our necessary distance from the scene and
partial blockage of our view by snow piles, we could not obtain an
exact count of ravens, some of which were flying in and out from the
foraging area.

Other highlights from northwestern Windsor County today were along
River Road near the White River where about 30 Bohemian Waxwings were
by the Long Meadow Farm in Bethel. On the Stockbridge section of that
same River Road, 4 American Tree Sparrows, a Song Sparrow, and 10
Common Redpolls were among other species around a "busy" feeding setup.

Additional species found along our route today included a Red-tailed
Hawk, Mourning Doves, Rock Pigeons, Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers, Blue
Jays, American Crows, Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, Dark-
eyed Juncos, a Northern Cardinal, American Goldfinches, and House
Sparrows. Despite extensive areas of open water in some relatively
fast flowing parts of the White River, no waterbirds were found.

George Clark
Norwich, VT