UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2013, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 22:20:21 -0500
I learned tonight at a social event of a possible Great Gray sighting
yesterday in Norwich, with an emphasis on 'possible'.

When I showed up late tonight, after having gone looking for the bird
seen on East Wheelock/Trescott Rd. in Hanover, a friend remarked
enthusiastically that "I saw it yesterday". This person is from
California originally, and frequently watches Barred Owls at his feeder
and in his neighborhood. The possible subject bird was seen along New
Boston Road, in the fields across from where Douglas Road cuts off
(i.e., 2-3 miles from Norwich). He described it as "much too big to be a
Barred Owl".

Whether or not he did indeed see a Great Gray yesterday, we should keep
an eye out throughout the Upper Valley for the bird seen today in
Hanover. And please, please, please get word out ASAP of any possible
sightings, via UVB, eBird, telephone, or smoke signals!!

Thanks,
Doug Hardy, Norwich