UV-BIRDERS Archives

September 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2011 18:51:09 -0400
First hand report here. I was running in town without any optics, and
saw a very large, dark bird flying south not far above tree tops. I
watched the bird for a maximum of 30 seconds until it disappeared below
the trees. Without the aid of binoculars, I noted long, angled wings, a
shallow wing beat, and intermediate gliding. I also think I saw a small
amount of white near the head, but it could have been the lighting. At
the time, I pretty confidently ruled out Great-blue Heron or any other
heron species. The neck was too short and I didn't see any legs hanging
behind. I haven't seen a Frigatebird in almost 10 years (I am 17), but
the bird matched the best recollection I had of the species. I didn't
get home for nearly an hour after the sighting (@4:30 this afternoon),
and didn't have access to a guide until then. However, when I looked at
several guides and YouTube videos, something bugged me about this
sighting. All drawings show frigatebirds as heavier chested than "my"
bird, the tail is longer than I saw, and Sibley describes the wing beats
as deep. Although the wings I saw were long and angled, I now expect
frigatebirds to have even longer, more angled wings. I no longer feel
confident putting a name to this bird. Very doubtful it was a heron, but
it wasn't a classic frigatebird either. At the moment I don't know what
I saw, and probably never will... but I don't think it was a species
typically seen flying over New Hampshire/Vermont.

 From my iphone I was able to post a quick message on UVB, as well as
text a few people. The intent was to get word out as fast as possible. I
was confident enough at the time not to call my sighting provisional,
but I probably should have; also, my notifications were Frigatebird sp.
(not necessarily Magnificent).

Sorry for a possible false alarm, but it is great to see that we have a
very rapid alert system.

Spencer

On 9/1/2011 5:39 PM, Steve Mirick wrote:
 > I just received a 2nd hand report from Marshall Iliff, that Spencer
Hardy texted him to report a Magnificent Frigatebird along the
Connecticut River in Hanover.  Presumably very recently.  Possibly this
bird might follow the river southward, so this is a heads up to all
birders in the river valley to get out this evening or tomorrow morning.