UV-BIRDERS Archives

February 2011, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blake Allison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:52:22 -0800
Today's storm has brought redpolls in with a vengeance to our feeders. I estimate in the neighborhood of 200 individuals. As in David's case, they are after the niger (hanging basket) and sunflower hearts (covered platform and tube). Swarming would be a good way to describe their activity when they are not bursting away from the feeders for cover in the woods.

I do not feel all that confident trying to pick out hoary redpolls, and its not that easy when the subjects refuse to stay put very long, but thanks to Scott Young's portfolio of hoary's, I am reasonably certain there are a few present. Also mixed in is a solitary pine siskin.

Blake

Lyme, NH 03768-3322