UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2012, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 20:03:25 -0500
Today, under pleasant December weather conditions, Ed Hack and I
looked for birds in the vicinity of Route 5 in VT with stops including
Hoyt's Landing and along Old Connecticut River Road (= OCRR) in
Springfield, Ferry Road in Weathersfield Bow, Lake Runnemede in
Windsor, North Hartland, and Kilowatt Park South in Wilder (Hartford).
We found 34 bird species for which some highlights follow.

Canada Geese were most prominent along OCRR (about 170) with dozens
more at Wilder. Other waterfowl species included Mallards, American
Black Ducks (at Lake Runnemede), Greater Scaup (2 at Lake Runnemede),
Common Goldeneyes (small numbers by OCRR and at Wilder), Hooded
Mergansers (widespread, but especially numerous at Hoyt's Landing and
in Wilder), and Common Mergansers. An adult Bald Eagle flew over at
Lake Runnemede. Four Red-tailed Hawks were seen along our route. An
American Coot was still at Lake Runnemede. Two Belted Kingfishers were
found, including one at Hoyt's Landing and another at Lake Runnemede.
A Golden-crowned Kinglet was sighted at Weathersfield Bow. Three
Eastern Bluebirds were at OCRR. A Northern Mockingbird was alongside
Route 5 between Hoyt's Landing and OCRR. Emberizines today included
American Tree Sparrow, Song Sparrow, and Dark-eyed Juncos. At least
100 Common Redpolls were in the area of the pumpkin field at Lake
Runnemede.

An otter was seen at Lake Runnemede. We were pleased to find presence
of at least 5 other birders (in 4 parties) while at Lake Runnemede.
.
George Clark
Norwich, VT