UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2008, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Cynthia Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cynthia Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 10:34:12 -0400
I have a wonderful assortment of finches at my feeder and around my house.
Within an hour I am likely to see:
Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks: 4 F, 4M
Evening Grosbeaks  3F 3-4 M
Goldfinches 2-4 f 3-4 M
Purple finches: 3-4 F, 3-5 M

In addition, there are, in the vicinity or at the feeder
chickadees 4-5
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-breasted Nuthatch (pair)
4 Mourning Doves
White-throated Sparrows (2)
Juncoes 2-3
Hairy Woodpeckers (pair)
Yellow-Belied Sapsuckers (nesting-possibly 2 pairs)
Blue Jays 4-5
Cowbirds 2-3 (ugh)
Barred owls-(pair?)
Scarlet Tanager (singing)
Ovenbirds 1-2
Wood Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Winter wren
 Phoebe (pair?)
Black-throated Green warbler(s)

some I've forgotten...
Too many Red Squirrels
Only 1 chipmunk, I think
1 large gray squirrel..

And a BEAR.  We take feeders in at night, but forgot 2 nights ago. Heard a
thump...turned on outside lights and saw a black form ambling off...

Not so many warblers this year...

Of special note:  One male Purple finch that had an injured leg last year
has returned!  Story and photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/creaturekinships/purprlefinchsurvivor

On  Beaver Pond, Tigertown Rd. Norwich:

2 pairs Wood ducks
1 pair Canada geese
1 female Hooded Merganser- saw the male earlier in the year, but she was
following around the mallards...?
1 pair mallards
Blackbirds
swallows
1 great blue Heron-maybe still here-usually comes for the summer.

All nesting, I hope

Beavers are back so pond is full!

Cindy Crawford