UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2012, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:07:13 -0500
UVB coffee drinkers,

This is a repeat message of what I sent last month, in case anyone
missed it. A buying group has been formed to obtain fresh Birds & Beans
coffee and share shipping costs.

The next order is going in first thing tomorrow, Thursday (9 am) and
anyone is welcome to get in on it. Just read below and send me your
request PDQ via e-mail to norwichcoffee AT gmail.com

Once the coffee arrives I will send out a message, and payment doesn't
happen until you pick up the coffee at VCE on Rt. 5 in Norwich (Vermont
Center for Ecostudies). A portion of the cost on each bag benefits them
and their important work with neotropical migrants.

Thanks for considering,
Doug

Neotropical migrants fascinate and delight many of us in the Upper
Valley, as they pass through or stop over for the breeding season. With
the multitude of hazards and issues they face, many of us wonder how we
can help insure their survival. Bridget Stutchbury (York University)
says the most important single step an individual can do to help stop
migratory songbird population loss is to always buy certified Bird
Friendly® coffee. Tropical habitat destruction is today’s biggest threat
to neo-tropical migrants, and today, almost all coffee sold in the US
does not meet ‘Bird Friendly®’ standards.

So, another coffee buying group is forming to order from Birds & Beans,
a company many of you have heard about or already support. Founder Bill
Wilson took up the cause to shift coffee drinking behavior by selling
great coffee that is good for bird conservation, family farmers, workers
and the environment. There are 4 roasts to choose from, all triple
certified (Direct Trade or Fair-Trade, USDA Organic and Smithsonian
Migratory Bird Center ‘Bird Friendly®’). Read more at the Birds & Beans
website <http://birdsandbeans.com/>

Through the buying group, the cost of this coffee is just over $10 per
pound, or a bit more for decaf or ground. So yes, there is a premium for
quality and sustainability... amounting to maybe the cost of one
coffee-shop latte per pound. However, shipping costs are almost
eliminated, and the coffee arrives from Maine within a few days of
roasting. No membership, no minimum, no overhead costs.

Interested? We anticipate that orders will be placed monthly, but more
frequently if needed. Order pickup will be at the offices of VCE
(Vermont Center for Ecostudies), who will receive a small portion of
each sale. VCE is located on Route 5 at the Norwich/Wilder townline,
just south of Killdeer Farmstand and the Co-op gardens (i.e., sparrows).
We may also be able to deliver to Mascoma Audubon meetings. Payment will
be by PayPal, check or cash (exact amount).

To learn more, or to be placed on an order notification e-mail list,
please reply to <[log in to unmask]> or call me at 802-649-1829.
Getting on the list will be the only way to know when an order is going
in. If you decide at any time not to continue, you will be promptly
removed from the list.

Drink better coffee, help neotropical migrants, and save money!

Doug Hardy, Norwich
(Benefiting from this only in the above 3 ways)