UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2012, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:21:10 -0400
The Coop fields were truly hopping this morning, with numbers and
diversity of birds greater than I've ever had there before.  My usual
15-20 minute saunter turned into more than an hour!  Although birds were
in the garden itself and weedy edge along its southern edge, many were
in wet thickets to the north and around the small pond by the Racquet
Club.  I wandered a bit further than usual and discovered a sparrow-rich
spot in the NE corner of the soccer fields.  It appears to be a large
soil mound that is now covered in dense weedy growth.  Definitely worth
checking on a regular basis.

I looked hard for an Orange-crowned Warbler to no avail.  If there was
ever a day for one to be there, this would have been it!  A dull
Nashville Warbler had me fooled for a second...

Highlights among the 26 species I found:

Route 5 Coop fields, Windsor, US-VT
Oct 5, 2012 8:15 AM - 9:25 AM

Northern Flicker  2
Eastern Phoebe  4
Blue-headed Vireo  2     1 singing
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2
Gray Catbird  4
Nashville Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  4
Palm Warbler  6     3 eastern, 3 western subspecies
Yellow-rumped Warbler  15
Savannah Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  25
Lincoln's Sparrow  5