UV-BIRDERS Archives

October 2013, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:28:27 -0400
George Clark, Ed Hack, Kyle Jones and I had a memorable 2+ hours this
morning scouring the massive weedy patch at Foxstand (Royalton Hill
Bridge Road is the named eBird hotspot).  Among the 10 sparrow species
we found was a Nelson's Sparrow, which provided excellent looks at close
range over several minutes.  This bird was along the northwest edge of
the patch.  To locate this spot, go south along the patch edge directly
across the road from the abandoned yellow house.  When fiorst found, it
was only 50-75 yards south of the road.  The bird was solitary when we
found it, unlike the hundreds of other sparrows inhabiting this patch.

This was by far the largest and most impressive sparrow concentration
I've ever seen in Vermont, or just about anywhere else!  Highlights
below, with counts of Savannah and Song sparrows definitely lower than
actual.

Chris

Red-tailed Hawk  2
Carolina Wren  1
Palm Warbler (Yellow)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  17
Chipping Sparrow  7
Field Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  71
Nelson's Sparrow  1      subspecies uncertain but likely 'interior'
Song Sparrow  91
Lincoln's Sparrow  5
Swamp Sparrow  7
White-throated Sparrow  39