UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2011, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
P Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 21:11:30 -0400
An assortment of random sightings today:

In my yard, my first of year  Northern Flicker, excavating a decaying tree
stump.

3 Great Blue Herons - in Grant Brook, east side of Route 10, coming into
Lyme.
Eastern Phoebes appearing:  one near Post Pond. ( Post Pond is still mostly
frozen), two by the Wilder Wildlife Management Area on River Rd, and one in
my backyard.  No song yet; just call notes.

By the Wilder Wildlife Management Area:

Hooded Merganser  - 2 drakes and 1 hen
Wood Duck - 3 drakes and 2 hens
Canada Goose - 5
Eastern Phoebe - 2

By the Grant Brook outlet on River Rd (still partially frozen)

Common Merganser - 1
Wood Duck - 1 pair
Hooded Merganser - 1 pair
Canada Goose - 2
Red-tailed Hawk - 1
Belted Kingfisher - 1

And finally, on the East Thetford Rd by Recordridge Farm, I counted 19
Turkey Vultures and 1 Red-Tailed Hawk attracted to a carcass.  Nine
vultures, flying low over the field, first caught my attention; then I saw
two vultures perched on fence posts with outspread wings, looking very much
like back-lit scarecrows in the evening light.
Large flocks of robins, as Blake Allison has previously reported, continue
to be present on both sides of the road.  I didn't locate, but did hear (and
have seen on other days), the American Kestrel that Blake has also reported
on the East Thetford Rd.

Fun birding!

Peg Ackerson
Lyme Center