UV-BIRDERS Archives

December 2010, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Eric Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Winchester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:25:56 -0500
On Sunday 12/12/10 we had a single common redpoll at our feeder in North
Haverhill in among a local flock of 35 or so goldfinches.

On Friday 12/10/10 at 12:30 PM, I saw what I am pretty certain was a male
rusty blackbird on the south end of the Connecticut River Road in Hartford.  He
was feeding among the stubble of a corn field located just before the road
dead-ends.  He was black with rusty highlights on his back, and one very
pronounced spot of rust color on his wing.   This was the only bird visible in
the field.  It continuously bobbed its tail while it was eating.  Not sure if that
is a behavior typical of the rusty blackbird.  Does anyone know?