UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2014, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:06:46 -0400
I encountered my first bonafide flock of non-local landbirds this
morning, in the vicinity of the beaver swamp near Spencer and Doug
Hardy's home on Tucker Hill Road in Norwich.  The most surprising
encounter was two loons calling in flight ~300 feet above as they headed
southeastward.

Highlights:

Common Loon  2     calling in flight
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1     sang briefly
Alder/Willow Flycatcher (Traill's Flycatcher)  1
Warbling Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3     2 singing
Red-breasted Nuthatch  2
Eastern Bluebird  1
Veery  2     calling
Wood Thrush  1     calling
Ovenbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  3
Nashville Warbler  1
Mourning Warbler  1
Common Yellowthroat  2
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  2
Blackburnian Warbler  1
Chestnut-sided Warbler  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  5
Chipping Sparrow  3
Song Sparrow  3     all in juvenal plumage
Swamp Sparrow  2
Baltimore Oriole  3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S19513672

--