UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2018, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Bill Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2018 14:45:39 -0400
UV-Birder subscribers:

It's great to see all the postings about spring arrivals:  First of Year (FOY) appearances of expected regulars, plus some exciting surprises!​  What a great time of year this is.​

I have a couple of suggestions to make our postings most useful to everyone on the list​ (I post these every spring, but it's worth repeating for new list subscribers, and as a gentle reminder to longtime list members).​

1. Subject Line:  Use a subject line that announces what the post is about.  Try to reference what you saw and where (Ex.:  Indigo Bunting at Mink Brook nature preserve, Hanover, NH).  If you're commenting on or adding information about the same bird(s)/location from a previous post, feel free to use the “Reply To” option and re-use the same Subject Line.

However, if you're reporting a different observation and especially if ​the birds were seen ​at a different site, best to start a new "thread" by starting a new e-mail message with a different Subject Line.  Otherwise readers open up a new post about the ​Indigo Bunting in Hanover, only to find out it's really about a Wood Duck in Haverhill!  You can save the list address in your e-mail address/contact list:  [log in to unmask] so that you don't have to remember it when starting a new observation.

2. Location of sighting.  Always include in your post the location of your observation - at least the name of the town.  Don't assume that ​readers will know that "in my backyard" means Ryegate, Vermont.  :-).  If you’re significantly above the valley floor, an approximate elevation for your location would be useful information to include as well.

If it is an unusual observation for the Upper Valley, more specific location information is appreciated so that others can go look for the bird you reported.

3. Bird Species Codes.  Although many of our serious birders are used to referring to species by the 4 letter American Ornithologists Union (AOU) codes which are often ​seen on checklists,​ ​UV-Birders list subscribers include birders of all levels.​  ​Bear in mind that to those who are just learning about birding, even a common species like Black-capped Chickadee might be hard to recognize if "BCCH" is the only description in your posting!

​And for those who would like an AOU reference to learn more about these codes, it's available on the web at the website of the Institute for Bird Populations:

Sorted by taxonomy:  http://www.birdpop.org/docs/misc/Alpha_codes_tax.pdf

Sorted by common name:  http://www.birdpop.org/docs/misc/Alpha_codes_eng.pdf​

4. Vermont eBird.  Many others have "plugged" using Vermont eBird to report your sightings.  My 2 cents:  It's easy to set up and use an account​, and helps contribute valuable information to the science of ornithology​.  Become a backyard scientist!  Google "Vermont eBird" and your internet browser will take you right to the site.

Once you create an account, use the “Find it on a Map" feature to enter your most frequent birding location by planting a "flag" on the map (it's as easy to use as Google Maps).  This saves to a ​personal ​list of "My Locations."  Then click on "Submit Observations,"  select your Location (or find a new one on the map), check off the birds you saw on a particular date and hit the submit button.  Click on the "e-mail me a copy of the list" option, and it'll send you a summary list which you can forward to UV-Birders.  You don't have to type out the names of the birds, and the data is stored and used in research and reporting done by the eBird project.  It also compiles a "life list" for you and summaries of your previous submissions.  Very cool.​  It's even available as a smart phone app!​

Have a great time out there birding and keep the reports coming!

Bill Schults
Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe:  E-mail this command to [log in to unmask]  UNSUBSCRIBE UV-Birders
To change your e-mail address:  E-mail this command from your old address to: [log in to unmask]  CHANGE UV-Birders [new e-mail address]