UV-BIRDERS Archives

November 2012, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PAMELA HUNT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 20:14:12 -0500
After an afternoon meeting in White River Junction, I returned to Concord
via my old stomping grounds on Mascoma Lake. Things were fairly quiet, with
the following noted from various vantage points along Route 4A (starting at
the dam and heading southeast):

Canada Goose 6
Am. Black Duck 3
Mallard ~25
RED-THROATED LOON 1
Common Loon 5
Great Blue Heron 1
Bald Eagle 1 (adult)
Ring-billed Gull ~10
Herring Gull 6
Great Black-backed Gull 4

Water seems unusually low - is anyone aware of work on the dam or anything
that would explain this? I don't recall ever seeing it this low for routine
fall dock preservation activities. Probably too late for unusual shorebirds,
but if the water had been down for a while this may have been a missed
opportunity.

Other local water bodies like George Pond and McDaniel's Marsh were already
mostly frozen over.

Pam Hunt
Penacook, NH