UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2014, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2014 21:55:31 -0400
The hands-down highlight of a few birding stops along the Connecticut R.
in Norwich this morning was a lone (and probably lonely) Red-winged
Blackbird singing with gusto along the RR tracks just north of the
crossing with Kendall Station Road.  A White-throated Sparrow was also
in the area.

Like many of us Upper Valley birders suffering from Champlain Valley
Snowy Owl envy, I'm hoping that the weeks ahead may find a northbound
bird stopping over locally.  Now is the time to look, and I did this
morning, though without success.  I checked Farrell Farm, the fields
behind Pirouette Farm on Hogback Road, Campbell Flats, and (later) the
Jericho Rd/St area.  Although the timing and routes of spring migrant
Snowy Owls in the Northeast don't seem to be well documented, satellite
telemetry over the past decade by Norm Smith of Mass Audubon shows that
northbound birds banded on the MA coast do occasionally cross over and
stop in Vermont.  The timing is variable, but March and April are the
most likely months.  Most of Smith's transmittered birds moved slightly
to our east, but perhaps birds that winter further south and west are
more likely to pass through VT-NH.

Check out the migration maps
http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/blue-hills-trailside-museum/snowy-owl-project/migration-maps,
and get out there to scan the fields and farm lands.  If there ever was
a spring to find Snowy Owls moving through the Upper Valley, this it it!

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer
Vermont Center for Ecostudies