UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Schults <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:41:54 +0000
UV-Birder subscribers:

Welcome Spring!

It's great to see all the postings about spring arrivals:  First of Year (FOY) appearances of expected regulars, plus some exciting surprises!

I have a couple of suggestions to make our postings most useful to everyone on the list:

1. Subject Line:  Use a subject line that announces what the post is about.  Try to reference what you saw and where (Ex.:  Rough-legged Hawk at Stevens Rd, Norwich)  If you're commenting on or adding information about the same bird(s)/location from a previous post, feel free to use the Reply To option and re-use the same Subject Line.  If you're reporting a different observation and especially if at a different site, best to start a new "thread" by starting a new e-mail message with a different Subject Line.  Otherwise readers open up a new post about the Rough-legged Hawk in Norwich only to find out it's a new post about a Wood Duck in Haverhill.  You can save the address in your e-mail address list:  [log in to unmask] so that you don't have to remember it when starting a new observation.

2. Location of sighting.  Always include in your post the location of your observation - at least the name of the town.  Don't assume that we know that "in my backyard" means Ryegate, Vermont.  :-)

If it is an unusual observation, more specific location information is appreciated so that others can go look for the bird you reported.  The detailed information about finding the recent Rough-legged Hawk is a great example.

3. Bird Species Codes.  Although many of our serious birders are used to referring to species by the 4 letter American Ornithologists Union (AOU) codes which are often used on checklists, the 326 UV-Birders list subscribers include birders of all levels.  Bear in mind that to those who are just learning about birding, even a common species like Black-capped Chickadee might be hard to recognize if "BCCH" is the only description in your posting!  See item 4, which makes compiling your observations as easy as using a checklist.

4. Vermont eBird.  Many others have "plugged" using Vermont eBird to report your sightings.  My 2 cents:  It's easy to set up and use an account.  Google "Vermont eBird" and your internet browser will take you right to the site.

Once you create an account, use the Find it on a Map" feature to enter your most frequent birding location by planting a "flag" on the map (it's as easy to use as Google Maps).  This saves to a list of "My Locations."  Then click on "Submit Observations,"  select your Location (or find a new one on the map), check off the birds you saw on a particular date and hit the submit button.  Click on the "e-mail me a copy of the list" option, and it'll send you a summary list which you can forward to UV-Birders.  You don't have to type out the names of the birds, and the data is stored and used in research and reporting done by the eBird project.  It also compiles a "life list" for you and summaries of your previous submissions.  Very cool.

Have a great time out there birding and keep the reports coming!

Bill Schults
Co-list-owner, [log in to unmask]

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.