UV-BIRDERS Archives

April 2015, Week 1

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Rimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:09:05 -0400
At 8:30 am this morning, I was surprised to find a molting Red-necked
Grebe on the Ompompanoosuc River by Campbell Flats.  Not only was it an
unusual location for this species, but the bird was was in a
transitional plumage that I've never seen (and therefore I'm only ~95%
sure it was a Red-necked...).  Rusty coloration was clearly visible at
the base of the neck, but the head was a strange mottled/striped black
and white.  It was diving and visible through the trees from the parking
spot above the flats, where I had reasonable though brief looks through
my spotting scope.  I walked down to the opening where the owners keep
their canoes and pontoon boat in summer, across the corn field, but I
was unable to find the bird again.  If anyone is in the area today, keep
your eyes out.

Impressive numbers of robins (>240) covered the fields on both sides of
the road.  Also in the fields below Pirouette Farm on Hogback Road were
 >225 robins and 28 Killdeer.  A female Yellow-belled Sapsucker was
foraging at Kendall Station.  The Ompompanoosuc R. channel is open
through Pompy Flats, where there were 16 Mallards, 2 Green-winged Teal,
4 Hooded and 2 Common Mergansers.

Chris

--
Chris Rimmer