UV-BIRDERS Archives

May 2009, Week 2

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 07:39:48 -0400
My yard is bustling with color and song.  I am taking a gamble with
attracting a bear, but I can't resist.  My feeders are so much more
active and colorful this spring than all winter.  I have American
Goldfinch and Purple Finch, and Evening Grosbeak and Rose-breasted
Grosbeak for color combos.  Also a Baltimore Oriole coming to an
orange.  The Gray Catbird is now snacking on grape jelly.  For song,
many warbler songs:  Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler,
Black-throated Green, Black-throated Blue, Blackburnian,
Chestnut-sided, American Redstart, Black and White, and Ovenbird, in
addition to the Baltimore Oriole's clear liquid whistle, the operatic
singing of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and the morning wakeup songs of
the cheery American Robin and the yodeling Wood Thrush.  What a time
of year!

The Barn Swallows have shown up within the past week and then leave.
No signs yet of pairing up and nesting.  We generally have at least
four nesting pairs.

The warmth is also bringing out additional bird food, ie black flies.  : - )

Always fun birding,

Peg Ackerson
Lyme Center