UV-BIRDERS Archives

June 2014, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
george clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:58:27 -0400
This morning Ed Hack and I looked for birds in southeastern Windsor
County, VT. Some highlights follow.

Following on Kyle Jones's finding of a Virginia Rail along Hunt Road
in the town of Windsor, we were able to see and hear that species
there. Among other birds in that location were a Wilson's Snipe, a
singing Savannah Sparrow, and a silent male Scarlet Tanager
momentarily in a habitat somewhat unusual for that woodland species in
the nesting season: in a roadside tree row bordered by open country on
both sides of the row.

Shortly thereafter, we stopped south of the Corrections Farm along
Marton Road in Windsor and heard both Eastern Towhee and Field Sparrow
repeatedly vocalizing.

Later, soon after stopping along Ferry Road in Weathersfield Bow, we
were greeted by extended calling of a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, which we
saw and heard repeatedly calling as it moved about in the deciduous
canopy. Also of special note at the Bow were an undetermined number of
Bank Swallows, nesting holes of which were seen in a earthen bank on
the New Hampshire shoreline of the Connecticut River.

Continuing southward on Route 5 south of Ferry Road into a Bow area
with open fields, we saw a Brown Thrasher fly away from the roadside.
Then still farther southward, but to the north of the curve where
Route 5 provides an overview of the Connecticut River, we pulled over
to listen to a repeatedly singing Eastern Meadowlark on the west side
of Route 5.

In late morning, in a well vegetated area along on Route 5 just to the
south of the Black River, we flushed an American Woodcock with its
distinctive wing noise on take-off.

George Clark
Norwich, VT