UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2013, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Mitts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:33:54 -0400
Hello,

As I was about to go down to town here in Newport NH, to pick up supper, I happened to look up and see a bird that looked just like a nighthawk. I went to the back of the house and stood there and watched about 7 of them fly over heading west. I went to town which is also west and when I got out of my car I saw more nighthawks. This time there were over twenty. I am not sure if they were the same flock as the ones I saw at my home. I guess they must be headed for the Connecticut River to migrate. This is only the second time in my life I have seen them. The first time was in 2009. It was also the end of August and early evening and there were over 20 of them having a feeding frenzy over my pool. I wonder if it is the pool that attracted them because we didn't have a pool again until this year. Maybe they are attracted to the water. Whatever the reason I was happy to see them again.
Thanks
Anne