UV-BIRDERS Archives

March 2009, Week 4

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 15:44:03 -0400
I was treated to the continuous, gentle song of the male bluebird
today, who was accompanied by a female.  Lots of singing.  Hopefully
the couple finds just the right home in Lyme Center.

Two song sparrows arrived on Monday.  Two American tree sparrows and a
dark-eyed junco were also present.

This seemed to be the winter of the blue jays for our yard.  Over 20
consistently.  My husband says they are like rats!  We were not
pleased with their constant peeling of paint from the house over the
winter months. They did quite a job.  That activity has stopped now
that spring is here and/or the snow is gone, exposing other sources of
whatever they are craving (calcium, according to a Cornell ornithology
report).

Peg Ackerson
Lyme Center